Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thirteen Reasons Why


Just finished reading the book Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

It’s a young-adult novel whose main theme is suicide. I enjoyed reading the first parts of the book (Not really enjoyed, but more like sympathized with the characters, especially Hannah), but as the end of the story draws nearer, I kind of felt that it got uglier. I mean, why blame your fucked up life on others? Sure, they were mean and they deserved every bit of guilt for your committing suicide, but I think you are also personally responsible for your life. I understand what Hannah has gone through, but I think that she should’ve tried to be more stronger and look for more ways to find hope in life instead of killing herself (or using lame excuses of killing herself, and then blaming others on it).

Main point of the story is that every action of yours (how little you may think it is), can greatly affect a person’s life and his faith in people.

P.S. I am thankful high school life here in the Philippines is so much different than in U.S. :)